Monday, August 12, 2013

After School Ambition

After School Ambition

Summary: Walks To School As A Child 2005


I chose * as my major to simply become rich. As you said in the first class this is a means to get to know your students better and I am about to give you a glimpse of me whether you want to read any further or not. Having only seen a few hierarchies of power, one thing remains true; the richer you are, the easier things get. Starting my childhood in * I grew up to see the poorer side of life. I was born into a culture of bamboo huts and barefoot treks to farms in the outskirts of * to metal roofed shanties that we called home near the heart of the capital and everything else in between. My school was perched up top a huge hill overlooking the city like a private well-accredited beautiful eagle that overlooked the impoverished ants below. I had noticed a sudden change of living as a little boy walking to school. It was sardine living for about eight blocks where my closest neighbors were shouting distance away but once I got past the immense stairs that reached four stories up into the hill it was a complete sanctuary. There were jet-black paved streets that winded as if it were from the New England region with lush plant life, the trees seemed taller at the time being only a few years old but they were gigantic. A few more winds of the road that seemed to be built in a middle of a nature preserve and a clearing emerges to shine light at the biggest K-12 I had ever seen. As I walked closer to the schools I could remember the children and adolescents that were dropped off by their guardians or by the tricycle taxis that went pennies per mile as their fare. The cars seemed to glisten beautifully against the sun as they glided down the jet-black pavement with a smooth yet sudden stop to drop their passengers off and then move out as if not to offend the natural beauty it was intruding. The tricycles were noisily hear about a half-mile before their stop and were colorfully painted as loudly as their engines to better attract the eyes of their future passengers. After school, the silent walk back to my reality had made my wind wander at the conditions these people lived in. Those few memories of walking to school and back forever burned into my brain the simple fact that I was poor not just poor in American standards but in terms of abject poverty and thus began my appetite to become rich. This was a walk that I want none of my children to ever have to experience. It is a drive that can easily corrupt anyone. As they say “money is the root of all evil” and it is a delicate burden and duty to uphold. To be financially secure but at the same time not let the money get to your head. I would not want to face the possibility of my children being a corrupt child and set them off into the world.